Though wealth is not the ultimate measure of success, we would all like to make more money. If you aren’t happy with your pay, use the following tips to increase your income potential.
Do you feel stuck in a rut at your job? Do you think it’s impossible to move up the ladder of success? Whether you work in an office, are engaged in a trade, or are self-employed, there are always ways to increase your income potential. While the following tips may take time and effort, the end result will be worth the persistence.
- Don’t Blame Others. When you aren’t making enough money, it is easy to shift the blame to others, such as your boss, the economy, or your past. Realize that your future and your potential are in your control.
- Set Realistic Goals. Not making millions? That’s ok! If you’d like to increase your income, set realistic goals. Achieving smaller goals will be easier and make you feel less disappointed if you don’t get a giant raise or bonus right away.
- Get The Necessary Credentials. With your goals in mind, get the proper education and training to take the next step in your career. While going back to school may seem like an expensive venture, it will typically pay off in the end. Check and see if your job has a tuition reimbursement program that can help fund your education.
- Start Fresh. If you truly believe that you are stuck in a dead end job, then find a new one! Look for something that a) you can be passionate about, and b) provides opportunities for growth. If you are passionate about your new career, chances are that you will work harder and your efforts will be rewarded.
- Understand the Value of Your Time. If you work in an office, find out the salary range in your field. If you don’t think your pay stacks up, then ask for a raise. Likewise, if you are self-employed, find out what your competitors are charging to make sure you are not shortchanging yourself.
While you likely won’t see a huge increase in your salary right away, it is important to remember the cumulative effect. With some persistence, you will see a large gain over time.
Per Wickstrom is the founder and CEO of Best Drug Rehabilitation, one of the top holistic rehabilitation centers in the country. He found sobriety after a decades-long struggle with addiction and has since dedicated his life and career to helping others find the same life-affirming success he has. His program is based on natural and holistic methods and has helped lead hundreds to recovery. Connect with Per via Twitter or LinkedIn.